STOP LEARNING – START LEARNING
THURSDAY 27th JULY 2017 10.00 – 15.30
Using the event programme I @kirstyOT have summaried my thoughts,feelings & reflection of the day in italics below!
10:00 – 10:20
Registration, Welcome and Introductions Dr Jo Watson, RCOT, Assistant Director – Education and Research
10.20 – 10.25
Feedback from delegates via Mentimeter – this is a great way of gathering feedback when everyone in the room has a smartphone. Really interactive and instant! Will be totally using this in my practice!.
10.25 – 11.10 Planning your next learning steps with the Career Framework, Dr Stephanie Tempest, RCOT, Education Manager -Professional Development
This was streamed live on facebook and can be found here – https://www.facebook.com/theRCOT/ (scroll to the 27.07.17 and you’ll see ‘live video’).
THE #RCOTCareerFramework will be out this September and the presentation is well work a look at. Look on twitter for a sneaky peak of the 4 pillars and 9 levels! The 36 principles will come out with a guidance document in Sept 2017!
11.15 – 1pm
World Café – this was super speedy way of theRCOT to tell us how they can support us as New Grads. There was no time for verbal discussion but we had an opportunity to feedback on each café postcards. Plus there was A LOT of snacks!!
There was 4 ‘session in all’ and here are the key points I took from each.
- Did you know you can claim back over £100 from the tax man if you are a RCOT member EVERY YEAR!! Link is at the bottom of the ‘join us’ section of the rcot website! https://www.rcot.co.uk/about-us/join-us
- Membership for regional groups is automatic and you are all in the ‘Eastern Region’ – you can apply and claim up to £100 towards training each year.
- Membership to specialist sections range from £20-40 per year and you can have access to lots of specific information.
- Only thing I took from this session is that there is biweekly research newsletters – to subscribe email Lesley.Gleaves@rcot.co.uk and provide your BT membership no.
- There was a big push from the college to prevent and deter us from shortening our title to OT! We are occupational therapists (OWN IT)!
- Also Anne Keen – Professional Adviser is happy to speak to any of us, her email email@example.com
- Basically we went through all the cool stuff that the library offers us as members which is now so much more easily accessible since the website updated! Yipeeeee
- My favorite fact! – Literature search outputs https://www.rcot.co.uk/practice-resources/library-resources/literature-search-outputs is a really good research for looking at all the lit searches the libarian has already done! All up to date info too!
- HOTopics https://www.rcot.co.uk/practice-resources/library-resources/hot-topics also really good resource
LUNCH – JULIA SCOTT CAME AND SAID A FEW WORDS OF ENCOURANGMENT WHICH WAS NICE!
1.45 – 2.15 Media and Learning, Andrew Sharratt, RCOT, Head of Media Relations
This was where the ‘improving lives, saving money’ campaign was talked about. We saw Fred’s story http://cotimprovinglives.com/living-not-existing-freds-story/ whcih is totally worth a look at! The youtube clip and the info below the clip on the dedicated website is awesome! Really relevant to everyone in the community! Next September 2018 there will be a mental health one! Anyone wanting their patient experience stories included please see this useful resource – http://cotimprovinglives.com/tell-your-story/ (WE NEED TO DO THIS!!)
2.15 – 2.45
Live discussion on being a new graduate and feedback from delegates via Mentimeter
2.50 – 3.20
The first year Natalie Greenwell, Occupational Therapist, Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust
Tilly’s (Natalie’s) presentation was motivating in that she is a year into her practice and she has achieved so much, yet had so many hurdles. The key message I took from Tilly’s presentation was that as much as we might experience barriers (like our service users) in our practice we will find ways to adapt and learn! Keep learning and growing! And to quote @OTontheTracks…
3.20 – 3.30 Closing remarks
Lots of us exchanged our twitter handles and vow to keep intouch!! A few of us #EssexOTstudents met up for a walk around. Thanks to @amybryan03 for this image that captured our after event catch up at #LoveBorough Market!
#nqot17 #ValueofOT #RCOTcareerframework @theRCOT @mmshiells @setG75